Thank you all so much for your responses to my blog post earlier this week! If you haven't had a chance to comment yet, please do! One of the things a few people asked for was more recipes and specifically those that will last more than one meal, and dinner last night just so happened to check both of those boxes.
I got my sauce in the crock pot at around noon yesterday and let it cook on the warm setting all day until we ate at about 730 last night and it made the sauce SO delicious.
1 container marinara sauce (I actually ended up using Newmans Own sauce because I realized this particular one has parmesan cheese in it, and I'm allergic-- bummer!)
1 lb lean ground turkey or beef
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 T garlic salt
2 T italian spices
Pepper to taste
noodles of choice-- I just look for anything that has whole wheat as the only ingredient
1. Place chopped onion in large pan and cook until translucent.
2. Add ground turkey or beef and 1 T garlic salt and cook through.
3. While meat is cooking add marinara sauce, diced tomatoes, and spices to crock pot.
4. Once meat is browned add to crockpot and mix everything together well.
5. Place on low for 1 hour then allow to simmer on warm setting for up to 6 hours. If you are going to let it sit in the crockpot for a while, I suggest adding about 1/2 cup water.
6. Serve on whole wheat pasta or noodles of your choice!