When I get an idea or want to try a recipe, I'm the kind of person that has to do it right then and there, no waiting. Today I decided I wanted to make spaghetti and meatballs so that is what needed to be done. I combined a couple different recipes and one of the ingredients I needed but didn't have was fresh basil. So, after a very long day of work I headed to Sunflower Market which is a health food store around the corner from my office which is awesome and convenient. Well, trusty Sunflower Market was out of fresh basil. Dang. Drive to Fresh and Easy which is just down the street a bit, park in a ridiculously busy parking lot just to find out they too have no fresh basil. It is now far past 5 o'clock (mind you, we eat at 6) and I still have no basil. I know the fresh basil will add great flavor to the meatballs so I suck it up and head to one more grocery store near home. NO BASIL. Honestly! Needless to say, I used dried basil.
99/1 lean ground turkey
1 piece Ezekiel bread
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp basil (fresh is best)
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Place Ezekiel bread in food processor and grind until you have bread crumbs
2. Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl and mix with hands. Then form 2 oz balls. One package of turkey made about 12 meatballs.
3. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
4. Heat pasta sauce (I love Monte Bene) in saucepan and add meatballs after they are cooked.
5. Place on bed of spaghetti squash
Happy Friday! Have a great weekend :)