New recipe number one this week was a success, phew! New recipe #2 is currently simmering in the crock pot, yep I got a crock pot yayy! It's just a cheapy but it will get the job done, for a while at least. Anyway, on to turkey stuffed zucchini- this would be a great recipe for those that are watching carb intake, you might just leave out the breadcrumbs.
*This recipe was adapted from skinnytaste.com*
- 3 large zucchini
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 package extra lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- EVOO spray
- brown rice bread crumbs
* Preheat oven to 400*
1. Cut each zucchini in half length wise and using a spoon scoop out the meat and set aside. (Don't mind the broken one, seems I got a little aggressive while scooping)
2. Place zucchini in a 9x13 baking dish and fill the bottom with about 1/2 inch of water.
3. In a large frying pan, add onion garlic powder and pepper and simmer until onions are translucent.
4. Add in zucchini meat as well as turkey and remaining spices and cook until turkey is cooked through.
5. Set mixture aside for 10-15 minutes and allow to cool.
6. Add egg whites and mix well (you want to make sure your mixture is cooled so the egg whites don't cook)
7. Fill zucchini with turkey mixture and sprinkle brown rice bread crumbs on top. Mist with olive oil spray
8. Cook for about 40 minutes or until breadcrumbs begin to brown.
These came out really good and were pretty quick and easy to make too. I think next time I may try adding some veggies into the turkey mixture, and will also melt some almond cheese on top.
This is also a great way to get your non vegetable eating boyfriend to eat his veggies :)